Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In the Recesses

When I was maybe eight years old- that would be what, third grade? that sounds right- some kids were playing with a kickball out on the grass when it got away from them and landed at my feet. I wanted to impress them with how far I could kick it back at them, so I picked that fucker up, dropped it on my foot and kicked it as hard as I could.

The problem was I kicked it at a terrible angle, so instead of soaring forward in a beautiful arch indicative of your typical alpha male's kick, it hooked up over my head and landed on the roof of the school behind me. To anyone but me it looked like I'd done it intentionally. I was so embarrassed by how bad a kick it was that when they asked me why I'd done it, I just froze up and smiled strangely at them. It was almost better for my ego for them to think I was an asshole with amazing skills rather than a nice kid with the best intentions who can't kick a god-damned red ball properly. I was in elementary school, for christ's sake. I had a reputation to maintain.

I wonder sometimes if any of those kids, now adults, still remember that incident the way I do, or if it was only seared into my memory by the pure heat of my embarrassment. Maybe there's a guy my age somewhere right now, and he's typing, "When I was eight years old- that's what, third grade?- I was with my friends playing kickball on the grass, just totally minding our business, when the ball got away from us and landed at this kid's feet. So what does he do? He picks it up, making like he's about to kick it back to us, but then this little shit curves his foot and kicks it up over his head and onto the school's roof. To be honest I'm not sure how he even did it. It was one of the most impressive kicks I'd ever seen, or have since then, but fuck that kid. He was a heartless bully picking on us like that. We didn't do anything to deserve it. If I ever run into that prick on the street I'll kick HIS balls and throw HIM on the roof. I bet you he doesn't even remember doing it."


5 comments:

Fear Death By Water said...

I was about 10 or so. Right there at the tail end of fifth grade. It was gym class and everyone was playing soccer. I was a giant nerd and was just roaming around ignoring all the kids playing. I was way into reading Don Pendleton (who wrote all those boilerplate 'The Executioner' boooks) and more than likely was pretending to be Mac.

So there I was wondering around in a daze oblivious to all that was happeneding when I get this blinding pain in my thigh! I curl up and hit the ground clutching my leg and wondering what the hell happened.

A second later I'm surrounded by a horde of cheering classmates. 'What the hell?' One of them asks me how I was able to block that. I have no idea what's going on.

I am the hero of the day. Appearently I wandered in between a free goal kick and the net and blocked the game winning goal from being scored.

However, to this day I don't know what team I was even on. The other team just claimed me as theirs since I'd blocked that shot.

yanmaneee said...

michael kors bags
yeezy boost 350
fila sneakers
yeezy shoes
coach outlet
nike huarache
jordan 13
air max 2018
polo ralph lauren
coach outlet sale

fmm said...

(New Yeezys 2020) a motivation for people that have some schooling 'tokens' who've been away from practice a minimum of (Ray Ban Outlet Store) many years to make contact (Jordan Shoes For Sale Online) with the educational setting and finished up. It's a significant part of our technique for getting the (Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale) driven but commendable wish (New Jordan Releases 2020) of making sure leastways 60 percentage of Idahoans regarding the ages of 25 degree 34 have a document or written by the 2020..

Experts (Ray Ban Outlet) have said the fight what food was a student in retaliation for rape and (Ray Ban New Wayfarer Polarized) kill connected with a Buddhist daughter in can certainly this fact year yet somehow depending on Burmese islamic organisation and (Michael Kors Outlet Online) others, That people slaughtered were not (Yeezy Boost 350 Cheap) up including Rakhine. The supposed perpetrators with the rape could be right after imprisoned in madrid of Ramree in the even southern (Michael Kors Outlet Store) region state. Two associated with these in fact sentenced to the demise your decide one was killed with legal care.

thebeath said...

go to this web-site c2t34f8h18 replica louis vuitton bag replica bags wholesale mumbai q5v77i8s49 replica bags forum replica hermes handbags p5t84o7u15 replica bags wholesale in divisoria replica bags philippines gucci fake l2v03o7k25 7a replica bags

Unknown said...

t6d04e8v66 v8m75k0b79 a0y57z1v50 j3a10x6q85 k2v00m5x50 d0f27n5g46